Tuesday 11 March 2014

Scarf in Bloom and a Walk on The Beach

I'm so glad that I am not alone in the business of saving shoe boxes and other equally important things,  I loved reading your comments they put a huge smile on my face. :) 

Remember my challenge at the beginning of the month? It involved using up at least 100 grams of your least favourite yarn. 



This was the yarn that I pulled out from under the bed and I have turned it...... 

Into this scarf


 It's an easy project to do when you want a bit of mindless crochet... when watching TV or even when you have company, do you crochet when you have company?
(some people think it's rude)

I used two strands of yarn together and a 6 mm hook, made a chain to the width I wanted and then I worked one row in trebles (dc,US) and one row in dc (sc,US) and I just kept going until the yarn was used up, it measures just over 5 foot and it took 165 grams of yarn. 

I was quite pleasantly surprised when I worked with this yarn because it was bumpy and bobbly I thought that it would be difficult to crochet with but it wasn't too bad at all and the completed scarf is nice and soft and has a lovely texture.

Then just to cheer it up a bit, after all Spring is nearly here and flowers are starting to bloom, the scarf in bloom was born.


Just by adding those three little flowers at each end, it makes all the difference. 




Magic ring, (chain 2, 1tr into ring, ch2, ss into ring,) (ch2, 1tr into ring, ch2, ss into ring) until you have 5 petals or 6 if you like.
I always make these because they are easy and I never forget how to make them.  They are also great for beginner crocheters. I usually add a little French knot in the middle after I have sewn them on. 

So I'm feeling quite happy because I have met my challenge already in the first half of the month, I may do it again next month because I do have a lot of stash yarn that I don't really love.
Have you risen to the challenge yet?

A Walk On The Beach
I have been so lazy during the winter just sitting around playing on my laptop, crocheting and getting fatter and very unfit, because the weather has been so beautiful this week and because I had a day off from work, I had no excuse not to get out and walk and so I jumped into the car and went to the beach. 

I live on the North East coast of England and have my choice of beaches just a ten minute drive away.  The beach I chose to visit was Seaham Beach




I just love to walk by the sea, it's possible to walk 11 miles along the Durham coast Path but that's for another day.

It's a long walk down but it seems even longer on the way back up.






Although it is a sandy beach there is a great deal of shingle too I love these pebbles, I like to sit amongst them and play with them and let the smaller ones run through my fingers, they feel lovely, heated with the warm sunshine.





Still too cold for a paddle.



 I know it looks pretty deserted but there were quite a few people enjoying the sunshine and lots of dog owners having fun with their pets but you know what I saw the most?... grandparents with their grand children, obviously mum and dad are at work so the grandparents are looking after the little ones and having a lot of fun into the bargain.



 I walked for just over an hour and when I climbed up those steps to get back to the top I was puffing and panting and my heart was pounding I am definitely out of condition and I suppose I am still recovering from the flu.  

I really enjoyed my walk it blew the cobwebs away and everyone I encountered was smiling and friendly so happy to see the sunshine, it quite lifted my spirits, so I think more of the same is in order and when I can run up those steps and not collapse in a heap then I know I'm on the right track. 


Enjoy the rest of your week and make the most of the sunshine.










18 comments:

  1. Simple but lovely scarf...and beautiful pictures...love beaches when they are not crowded...
    Have a nice day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scarf looks lovely - the little flowers are the perfect touch. The only time I crochet while talking with people is when I'm at the campground - no one seems to think it's rude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the scarf. What a great use for your least favourite yarn. Wish I could join in the challenge but too preoccupied with the fairisle sweater I am making to break off.
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice scarf, how beautyful your pictures are! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being at the seaside whatever time of year it is! Looks like you had a lovely time.

    Your scarf is really pretty - and the little flowers really add the finishing touch. Very nice Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little flowers really make the scarf, they're simple and pretty. Your beach pictures look lovely, though I suspect it was colder than the pictures look, but hey how nice no rain and some glorious sunshine. I like the pebble pictures, so many colours and shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blooming great scarf Linda!
    Thank you so much for taking me for a walk on the beach with you - such beautiful photos and descriptions I felt like I was really there! I'll be popping back when I need a blast of fabulous North Eastern sea air!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed your lovely walk Linda, thanks for taking us along! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The yarn you used for your scarf looks a lot like the yarns Ana uses for her batkus scarfs. Great look for spring. I would be down at that beach too on such a sunny day. The shore looks very much like the shores of Lake Ontario with all those rocks! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty scarf, Linda! ♥ The nice little flowers make it so springlike and are the icing on the cake :-). Luckily you didn't throw that yarn away! About crocheting (or knitting) when having company... yes I do! E.g. the parties at my in-laws are so boring, I would die if I hadn't something to do in my hands *lol*. But I also knitted when I visited my family formerly, it was normal for them because my mother knitted, too :-). Have a nice weekend! Nata

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your walk on the beach, I am out of shape too and need to get back walking. Love your beach themed scarf, sometimes the simplest color makes the best statement. Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Linda, beautiful scarf and lovely details! I loved to see your beach, I also love walk along seaside. If you've got time come and see my beach full of foam, a rare phenomenon here ( my last post).
    Hope you have a wonderful day and week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pictures speak of spring... just like the scarf! How I wish to come there now and walk, and breath in the air there... Thanks for sharing the beauty of your area with us, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful scarf and lovely pictures!!! I love the pebbles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the easy crochet flower instructions. Crochet does not come east to me as I have been a knitter for over 50 years! But I managed to do a reasonable facsimile of your flower, which worked out great w the magic loop, as I pulled the I-cord from the top of the hat thru the center of the flower and then tied the I-cord into a knot for the center of the flower, really added a cute touch! On another note your beach photos were so lovely, I felt I was right there instead of the middle of the Midwest of USA! We too have some beaches that are rocky like that, I always try to find a heart shaped one to bring home. Thx so much, xoxo, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that you found it useful Sandy it's an easy one to remember, I like to search for heart shaped rocks too. :) xx

      Delete
  16. Thank you so much for your little crochet flower, it was the perfect embellishment to a hat I knit for my daughter's baby! I love your beach photos, felt (or wished) that I was right there! I always look for the heart shaped rocks! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx